Thursday, September 20, 2007

HW 9: Applying Graff to Huffington

I found Kline and Burstein’s interview with Arianna Huffington, “Punching Holes in Faded Mirrors” very interesting. I found her extremely intellectual and think her idea of a “blogazine” is a good one. She has a blog that isn’t left wing or right wing and the contributors include many influential people. Huffington also believes that the mainstream media isn’t always the best source. I agree that the media has attention deficit disorder and can only focus on one story at a time, because my experience watching the daily and nightly news confirms it. When there’s one big story it seems that it’s the only thing that they focus on or even worry about. I also like how there is an exceptionally wide range of ages contributing to the blog. I disagree with Huffington’s response when asked about dangerous thoughts on her site. Huffington’s claim that if someone writes a falsehood that someone else will immediately shoot that point down rests upon the questionable assumption that a reader won’t jus believe that falsehood with out knowing better. I think this is a negative point in all blogs. Overall though I like her ideas and might even check the blog out.

No comments: